This Is The Official Website Of:
River Road Volunteer Fire Company
39 Kaufman Ave. - 716-874-9140
Town Of Tonawanda,
New York 14150
Drill Nights are weekly, every Wednesday evening
at 7 PM
If you are interested in joining, come at 6:30 PM
Buffalo/Riverside residents welcome (based on distance from the hall).
About River Road
The River Road Volunteer Fire Company
was the third of six fire districts created in
The Town of Tonawanda, New York.
The Town of Tonawanda is in Erie
County of Western New York.
The Town of Tonawanda also includes
these other fire districts:
Ellwood Fire District, Kenilworth Fire
District, Sheridan Park Fire District, Brighton Fire District and the
Village of Kenmore Fire Department.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area
of 20.4 square miles (52.7 km), of which, 18.8 square miles (48.7 km)
of it is land and 1.6 square miles (4.0 km) of it (7.66%) is
The north border of the town is the City of Tonawanda and Tonawanda
Creek, which is part of the Erie Canal, and the west border is the
Niagara River. Ellicott Creek flows parallel to Tonawanda Creek in the
northern part of the town, with a confluence just east of the Niagara
River. The east border, marked by US Route 62 (Niagara Falls
Boulevard), is the Town of Amherst. Forming the southern border is the
Village of Kenmore and the City of Buffalo.
Formed in 1929, River Road is the
smallest firematic district both in size and residences in the Town of
Tonawanda. The River Road Fire District occupies a small sliver of
three residential streets in an area where heavy industry surrounds its
district on all sides. There are several major industrial points of
interest in the District 1 area including the Dunlop Tire Plant, Dupont
Chemical Plant, FMC, 3M, GM Powertrain Plant and the NRG Huntley Power
Plant. This abundance of heavy industry showcases the necessity for a
fire station in this heavily industrial area of the town.
The River Road Fire Company was originally quartered at 59 Kaufman
Avenue in a cramped two bay station. That old firehouse is in rough
shape, showing it's age having been built originally in 1929 with the
founding of the fire company. There has been a new firehouse built
across the street in a lot owned by the Fire District. Construction of
the new hall at 39 Kaufman Ave. was started in June 2011 and completed
in March 2012 and has been well received by the community and The Town
Over the years the membership had shrunk to the point where there was
talk of disbanding River Road or merging them into another town fire
company. However the recent events transpiring at the River Road Fire
Company point to a new found interest in the fire company.
Due to extensive work by two of the
firemen in the company Bernard S Misiura Jr (President of the
organization 2008 - ????) and Jason Webb (Lieutenant 2008 - ????) a law
was passed regarding membership limitations. This law was achieved with
help from the honorable State Senator Mary Lou Rath and the Honorable
State Assemblyman Robin Schimminger with thanks to Governor David A
Specifically this law amends through exempting River Road Fire District
#3 from subdivision 7 of section 176-b, of Town Law that mandates Fire
Districts to have no more than forty-five Percent non-resident
The Governor David A Paterson signed this proposed bill into law on
July 21, 2008.
The Ladies Auxiliary after being disbanded for over 20 years was
officially resurrected in September 2008.
Link To Us On
© 1929 - 2018 RIVER ROAD VFC. All Rights
Powered By - Huge Hit Hosting
Affordable Web Hosting